Elecbyte Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

M.U.G.E.N 1.1 beta 1 released!  Check it out at http://elecbyte.com/mugen

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Filters for low res characters  (Read 12507 times)

Jarek Bachanek

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Filters for low res characters
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:59 am »

It would be nice to see some filters like Scale2x or even old blury DR2 filer from Winmugen, in new Mugen, so old low chars won't be look so pixelated in higher resolutions.

Some emulators have it and it's nice. I realize there is some people who dislike them, but it could be optional, so they could be on and off (preferably in Options menu, because I hate editing mugen.cfg each time.

While we at it, changing resolutions in-game via Options Menu is another cool idea. 
You want earn some money for free ? Click in both banners and register !!!

Sh1nRa358

• Community Member
  • "...Are you a loser?"
    • View Profile
    • Shinra-Enterprise
Re: Filters for low res characters
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:19:28 am »

I agree. Especially for scanlines and screen blur overtop of the already present high resolution. An option to enable scanlines AND screen blur at the same time would be nice too.
What you know,can blind you from the truth....

JEKNEL

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:48:36 am »

Is a good suggestion

would be very good Elecbyte guys can add filters to mugen

but... c'mon guys.

What is the advantage of a mugenHD, if we continue using or making chars in low-res?

There are many great chars for low-res mugen, but it is time to move on.

It will be very difficult, but I think we should create a new generation of Chars for mugen in HD.

just my opinion, don't hate me please.   :-X
me!!! in mugen jejeje      

Sh1nRa358

• Community Member
  • "...Are you a loser?"
    • View Profile
    • Shinra-Enterprise
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:25 pm »

Filters can look just as good on highres chars as well.
What you know,can blind you from the truth....

Krizalid99v2

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:18:37 pm »

I think it's a good suggestion as well.

Personally though the only filters I liked was 2xSai or Interpolation (the default filter in emulators like MAME), because they were just about right.

The other ones like Scale2x, SuperEagle or Super2xSai were far too strong in my opinion, it made the characters looked washed out with water paint.

but... c'mon guys.

What is the advantage of a mugenHD, if we continue using or making chars in low-res?

He didn't say anything about continuing to make characters in low-res, he said it would be good for old, existing characters.

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance

Chrono_Strife

• Community Member
  • WilliamNo1 Fan
    • View Profile
    • FFFury 3.0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 02:28:00 pm »

There are many great chars for low-res mugen, but it is time to move on
No.

Filters aren't a half bad idea. I personally never found one that I liked, using them on old emulators(aside from some minor blurring ones that made it almost appear as if I was playing on a low-def TV screen), but if they aren't difficult to implement, then I'm all for extra options.

Jarek Bachanek

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:47:34 pm »

Is a good suggestion

would be very good Elecbyte guys can add filters to mugen

but... c'mon guys.

It will be very difficult, but I think we should create a new generation of Chars for mugen in HD.

just my opinion, don't hate me please.   :-X

It's cool you like High Resolution, I like it too but let's be real here. So far only newest games have Hi res Sprites, and I'm sure there will be more, but for now 90% of sprites are in low res, and that's why request filters so they won't be look that bad when you fight vs for example Guilty Gear char.

Making hi res sprites is not easy job. Most people still create much more low res sprites because they have more variety of bases than HR bases (for now only HR chars that can be edited are Guilty Gear, Basara X, Hokuto No Ken, Magic Knight Vermilion, Vanguard Princess and proably one or two more.

Compared to low res resources it's like 1% and without bases most HR content must be created from scratch and only skilled spriters can do so, and even if they have skills, not all have time and motivation to make 500+ HR sprites (and this is for one character only), not to mention FX etc...

Making good looking low res sprites is hard enough task already.

And at last many people like old school, and when I read such comments like yours I feel like you saying "Let's create something cool and shiny and forget about all past that led as here".
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:49:10 pm by Jarek Bachanek »
You want earn some money for free ? Click in both banners and register !!!

LimitlessX

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:49:39 pm »

I also agree, I hope elecbyte puts filters back (maybe some new ones too!)

Issaz

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:45 am »

Why am I not surprised?

What's the point in making a new feature so people can stick too the old crap? What's the point in making a HD mugen when people want to play low-res characters? Damn, keep this up mugen is going to stay clustered with the same old garbage.

Basically, a whole new engine, with patched up out of date,broken,garbage characters which will out number new HD and better characters. sad.

Want to play old characters play win-mugen, that's what it's there for.

JEKNEL

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:33:46 am »

He didn't say anything about continuing to make characters in low-res, he said it would be good for old, existing characters.

I Understood that jeje  I'm agree   ;D

It's cool you like High Resolution, I like it too but let's be real here. So far only newest games have Hi res Sprites, and I'm sure there will be more, but for now 90% of sprites are in low res, and that's why request filters so they won't be look that bad when you fight vs for example Guilty Gear char.

please pal , I'm being real here, I know Hi-Res sprites for chars doesn't apear magically in front of us. and the filters are a great idea, I think that too.

Making hi res sprites is not easy job. Most people still create much more low res sprites because they have more variety of bases than HR bases (for now only HR chars that can be edited are Guilty Gear, Basara X, Hokuto No Ken, Magic Knight Vermilion, Vanguard Princess and proably one or two more.

Compared to low res resources it's like 1% and without bases most HR content must be created from scratch and only skilled spriters can do so, and even if they have skills, not all have time and motivation to make 500+ HR sprites (and this is for one character only), not to mention FX etc...

Making good looking low res sprites is hard enough task already.

I know that, make sprites is not a easy job, no even low res sprites,  just look my crappy try of hi-res stand action for my char in my sinature, Im not a great spriter, but I 'm still trying. May be I have not skills , but just think about it, If nobody try to do sprites because is "not easy" , we can never progress.

And at last many people like old school, and when I read such comments like yours I feel like you saying "Let's create something cool and shiny and forget about all past that led as here".

ok, my fault.

Maybe I'm not expressed correctly, English is not my first language, I'm not trying to offend anyone from the "old school" or those that begin in the mugen, I'm not trying to forget the past of mugen, I know excellent creators and characters that they did, but....How can I say.

I do not live in the past.

Nobody is born knowing how to do everything, we need to learn and try, no matter if we fail at  first attempt.

We have the tools, use them depends on each one of us.   skills or not.

At last, once again I apologize if my words offended anyone.

thanks.
me!!! in mugen jejeje      

Chrono_Strife

• Community Member
  • WilliamNo1 Fan
    • View Profile
    • FFFury 3.0
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:39:47 am »

Why am I not surprised?

What's the point in making a new feature so people can stick too the old crap? What's the point in making a HD mugen when people want to play low-res characters? Damn, keep this up mugen is going to stay clustered with the same old garbage.

Basically, a whole new engine, with patched up out of date,broken,garbage characters which will out number new HD and better characters. sad.

How do you jump to that conclusion?

Are you implying that low res = out of date, broken, garbage?

Also low res will outnumber higher res for a reason. There are a lot more resources for low res sprite work available, not because people want to make "broken garbage." There's also a reason why Mugen 1.0 can still use low res materials as they are. Pretty silly too assume everyone should throw away their old stuff and only create HD material for Mugen 1.0.

Issaz

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 01:55:29 am »

Why am I not surprised?

How do you jump to that conclusion?

Are you implying that low res = out of date, broken, garbage?

Also low res will outnumber higher res for a reason. There are a lot more resources for low res sprite work available, not because people want to make "broken garbage." There's also a reason why Mugen 1.0 can still use low res materials as they are. Pretty silly too assume everyone should throw away their old stuff and only create HD material for Mugen 1.0.

Noone is forcing you to throw anything away. Normally when I wanna play my sega genesis game I'll pull out a sega emulator, not a dreacast emulator. So again, want full control of your old low res characters play on a low res engine . Very simple. Then again, seeing how the mugen community operates, it's very typical for someone to ask for a new feature to handle old material.

And I never said just because it's low res it's garbage. It was good for it's time, but with all the tools we have now and updates, then yes the old material will be garbage with it being updated with the times, and I'm talking about the coding and bugs as well. Mugen never was a balanced/ fighting game engine to compete in first place, but at least now with new tools and concepts can change that. Adding odd garbage is going to make the situation worst.

LOL I wont be surprise to see people mixing low res and HD characters together and calling it the bad ass with goku the look like he came from the nes vs the goku that look like he came from the xbox360. LOL the mugen for ya. :o

Cyanide

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 02:03:22 am »

Go make some HD sprites then if you're so into them. See how easy it is. Btw, "i don't have time" is not a valid excuse for you, you have time to post here, you have time to make some sprites.

SffV2 is NOT required

Issaz

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 02:09:54 am »

Go make some HD sprites then if you're so into them. See how easy it is. Btw, "i don't have time" is not a valid excuse for you, you have time to post here, you have time to make some sprites.

It's the same as making low rs sprite but easier in a way. Because, there are no requirements to downsize the shit out of the sprites to the point where you lose alot of detail.

Cyanide

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 02:15:15 am »

HD? 4 times the size of a low res sprite? With more expectations for the detail you do? Off you go then.

SffV2 is NOT required
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5